Road Travel Rebate Incentive Program (RoadTRIP) 2014
What is RoadTRIP?
- RoadTRIP is a proposed three year pilot program designed to help increase both the number and frequency of cross border road trips by U.S. visitors as well as the value of goods they purchase during their stay in Canada.
- RoadTRIP would provide U.S. visitors with a financial incentive in the form of a limited and specific rebate of the 5% GST paid on goods purchased in Canada which they are taking back to the United States at the end of their visit.
- RoadTRIP would only be available through federally regulated duty free stores operating at land border crossings, thereby incenting U.S. visitors to travel to Canada by car through border communities in every province from New Brunswick to British Columbia.
- RoadTRIP would be promoted and marketed to U.S. tourists by Canadian businesses as a reason to Take ‘5’ and consider a cross border road trip to Canada.
- Among OECD countries with national or federal value-added sales taxes, Canada is virtually alone in not having some form of tourism refund incentive
FDFA Road TRIP Documentation:
- FDFA Road TRIP One-pager English
- FDFA Road TRIP One-pager French
- Road Trip Detailed Talking Points
- Economic Impact Report Highlights
- FDFA Member Riding & Municipal Information (doc)
- FDFA Store MP Listing
- Letter (Chamber of Commerce exec. to Min of Finance)
- Letter (Mayor to Min of Finance)
- Letter (MP to Min of Finance)
- Letter (Store Exec to Chamber of Commerce Exec.)
- Letter (Store Exec. to Mayor)
- Letter (Store Exec. to Min of Finance)
- Letter (Store Exec. to MP)
- 2014 Industry Brief ENG
- 2014 Industry Brief FR
RoadTRIP Media Coverage:
Chamber of Commerce calls for cross-border shopping tax rebate:
CBC Windsor News (clip starts at 4:50):
Chamber to encourage cross-border shopping:
Four Key Ontario Chambers of Commerce Join Forces to Support Travel Rebate Incentive Program:
Local Chamber supports tax rebate program to lure Americans:
CTV News – Travel rebate incentive program:
If you have any questions please contact Laurie Karson at 613-233-1946 or email@example.com