School or Organized Groups I.D. Requirements

Canadian and U.S. citizens 18 years of age and under DO NOT require a passport to cross the Canada/U.S. by land or water when traveling with a school or other organized group.

When schools or organized groups, such as sports teams, cross the border by land or water and are under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, children 18 and under do not require a passport. They are only required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate (applies to American citizens only) or citizenship card. Originals, photocopies or certified copies are acceptable.

Schools and organizations bringing groups across the border by land or water should be prepared to present a letter on the organization’s letterhead with the following information:

  • The name of the group and supervising adult;
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child;
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.

For more information please visit the Canada Border Services Agency at or the US Department of Homeland Security at