Customs & Allowances 

Border ID Requirements


What I.D. is required when traveling across a land border to the U.S. or Canada?

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States from within the western hemisphere.

For a list of WHTI compliant documents - click here
For a WHTI Fact Sheet – click here

Land & Water Ports of Entry

Travelling to the United States by Land & Water:

All travellers are required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States by land or water:

  • a passport
  • a NEXUS card;
  • a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card
  • an enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented - see below for a list of provinces

Aug_LicenseEnhanced Driver's License

For information on States and Provinces currently issuing Enhanced Driver's License, a WHTI compliant document 
Click Here


nexus_20logoNEXUS Cards

For information on applying for a NEXUS card, a WHTI compliant document  Click Here



Get Your Passports

Including passport renewals and ID requirements for minors




For more information on border travel, please refer to the Canadian Border Services Agency Website